The question was what are the things I look for when starting with a student and what do you need to be able to improve.
I look for the following when I evaluate a student.
- First is always grip, setup and posture. We must have these in order before we can fix anything else.
- Second is the pivot. I want to see a good backswing and forward swing pivot.
- Third is a shaft that swings on plane.
- Fourth is a square club face.
- Fifth is a club head that is lagging at impact.
There is no set sequence for which issues will be corrected first. I always look at these five areas, combined with rhythm and balance. Breaking your mechanics into these five areas will help you and your teacher evaluate what to work on during this off season.